Precuations for Bikram Yoga class
Here at the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre, one of our primary aims is to teach the best quality yoga and meditation using the best qualified and practicing yoga teachers.
- You will do a lot of sweating in the class so please come to the class hydrated drink sufficient water prior to the class (also the night before for the morning classes), and stop 20 mins before class so as to allow time to eliminate it.
- After the class make sure you drink plenty of water to re-hydrate yourself, this is very important as you will have lost a lot of body fluids throughout the class. It can be advisable to take a small sips of water after the class, rather than gulping it down too quickly. Bt do try to drink at least 2 glasses of water.
- Come to class on an empty stomach. Do not eat 2 hours or more before the class. The only exception to this is someone who has a known medical condition or low blood sgar levels and who know they may faint if their blood sugar level drops.
- Dress in light clothing as the room is hot and will be even more uncomfortable with heavy clothing on you.
- Please bring a bath towel to the class, to place on top of the usual rubber yoga mat. This will help absorb the sweat and prevent you from slipping.
- If you need to rest during the class sit down and sip a small amount of water. It is not advisable to drink a lot of water through the class as we are working on heating the body to allow us move more freely which eliminates toxins and pouring cold water slows down the process and can make you feel nauseous.
- It is important to stay until the end of class. Postures towards the end of the series are designed to cool you down and calm you so rather than leave the room sit down take a sip of water and rest for a few moments.
- However, if you feel sick or the heat is too much for you, then it is ok to leave bearing in mind that you have not completed the gradual cooling and slowing down.
- If you have any medical conditions/injuries please advise before the class commences as some modifications may be needed, some postures should be taken easy to start with eg. Backward bends should be taken easy if you have high blood pressure.
- Please listen to your instructor carefully as the precautions and information you need about the postures will be given repeatedly and clearly.
- Muscle soreness is to be expected after the first class, the best way to over come this is to do some gentle stretching. And also the following day, practicing some more yoga will help gradually loosen the body over time.
- You should be aware of any injuries you may have, or any limitations of your own body type, and respect your own natural limits. Do not push yourself so hard that you feel you are fighting with the practice.
- Everyone is encouraged to practice to their own natural ability and there is no pressure or competition to keep up with anyone else.
- If you have any further questions please feel free to ask at any time.
- Most importantly have fun and enjoy your Bikram Experience here at the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre and be prepared to sweat !!!
For upcoming Bikram courses please see