School Trips and School Retreats
We offer mid week specially tailored 1, 2 or 3 day offerings specially for schools.
The maximum number we can cater for is 15 people, so this is usually composed of 2 teachers and 13 students.
The setting is a genuine yoga and meditation centre, which is only used for yoga and meditation retreats, and the energies and atmosphere are very special and are very apparent the moment one arrives at the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre.
Great feedback from previous school trips
We have run a number of school retreats over the years and we have only heard back the highest of feedback from both the school teachers and the pupils themselves which have found their whole experience
- very informative about yoga, meditation, Buddhism and taking a retreat
- very practical in that they can use some of the techniques when they ho home
- very inspirational in that they actually experience some of the benefits
- eye opening when they discover the freedom of leaving behind their mobile phones
- very enjoyable and tasty vegetarian food and cakes 😉
- a great way to have a different experience with their school mates and also teachers
- great fun especially when they visit Father Ted’s house
- great experience that they tell all their friends and parents about when they get home
We have one school The Crescent College Comprehensive from Limerick which have come back 4 consecutive years and always book their trip one year in advance.
Testimonial from Cresent College Comprehensive
Grainne Delaney – School Chaplain
Our students have been going to the Burren Yoga and Meditaion Centre, for several years now.
We are so delighted to have Dave as part of our overall Sixth year Retreat Experience. We want the students, to acquire skills at the beginning of the academic year which will support the difficult year ahead. We are getting this and much more at Lig Do Scith.
The students have a very specific learning experience in their time at the centre. They learn to listen to themselves, create space , engage with their bodies and minds and focus on a very deep awareness. They learn the skills of Yoga and admire in Dave what can be achieved.
But beyond that, they return with an awareness of how they can be in control of how they encounter life and its pressures and the skills to continue Yoga in their own space and time… not to forget the wholesome and delicious food. Lig Do Scith is a beautiful Haven to be cherished.
Crescent College Comprehensive
Components of School Retreat packages to choose from
As part of your school visit we can optionally offer
- comfortable shared accommodation and single rooms for teachers
- the best of vegetarian meals by Paddi the famous cook
- meditative Satyananda yoga classes including breathing techniques, gentle postures, deep relaxation
- dynamic fitness style Ashtanga yoga which also gives a good physical workout
- an introduction to meditation and a few opportunities during their stay to practice meditation
- talk followed by questions and answers on Buddhism, Yoga, Meditation, bringing a practice into one’s daily life
- a walk up Mulloughmore mountain or one of the other special locations in the Burren
- a visit to Father Ted’s house where we can have tea and sandwiches and cakes and take turns trying on Bishop Brennan’s hat and posing for photos 😉
- a genuine retreat environment within a friendly relaxed atmosphere
Choose your own timings and duration of our School retreats
You can choose what works best for your particular school outing.
You can choose between
- a single day school trip
- a 2 day school retreat
- a 3 day school retreat
- a longer school retreat
We are flexible in our approach and will discuss with you your preferred time to arrive and depart, any specific requirements for your group and between us will come up with a proposed timetable of activities.
Sample timetable we have used previously
|9:45 – 11:15 am||Dynamic Yoga class|
|13:00 – 13:30 pm||Karma yoga volunteers to help washup|
|13:45 pm||Outdoor trip into the Burren hills or by the sea (may include visit to Father Teds)|
|17:00 pm||Meditative gentle yoga class|
|19:45 – 20:15 pm||Karma yoga volunteers to help washup|
|20:30 – 21:15 pm||Meditation|
|21:15 – 21:45 pm||Meet with teachers to review day|
For retreats more than 2 days long, the suggested timetable for any further days would begin at 8:15 am with Meditation and finish approx 21:45 pm with a meeting of the students with the teachers to review the day.
|8:15 – 8:45 am||Meditation|
|8:45 – 10:00 am||Chosen Yoga class|
|10:30 – 11:00 pm||Karma yoga volunteers to help washup|
|12:00 – 13:00 pm||Questions and Answers or class or talk on Buddhism|
Outdoor trip on our school retreats
There is a choice of locations we can visit and activities that we can do.
The places we can visit include
- Visit to Father Ted’s house
- Walk up Mulloughmore
- Walk by sea at Flaggy shore
- Visit Saint Colman’s hermit cave where he meditated for 7 years in 8th century
- Other requests or options
It is nice to spend some time in Nature and also give the students time to chat and laugh and have fun, and also to give them time to assimilate the practices they have experienced during the classes and talks.
This also gives them a different setting where they can ‘be themselves’.
There is a nice balance between time spent indoors, and also our time spent outdoors in Nature.
Considerations and Guidelines for your school trip or youth retreat
- Your own bus to get here
- Use of the bus on the day we have our outing unless you are happy with walking the hills surrounding the centre
- No mobile phones with the centre
- No shoes worn inside the centre
- The students take turns in helping with the washup according to karma yoga principles
- Teachers must be present at all times
- Courteous and mannerly behaviour required at all times
- Prior booking as far ahead to ensure dates you require are available
- Deposit required to book your dates
Prices for your School Trip or your School retreat
We try to be as keen with our prices as possible.
We hope that your visit here will result in many of the students taking up the practice of yoga and meditation or at least considering the possibility of this within their life.
We have set rates for the various different packages that we offer, and are also happy to provide a price to you for any special requirements you may have.
Please contact Dave who founded and runs the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre with your requirements to receive a price.