Yoga Practice Environment
Practicing yoga yourself
The most important yoga practice you will do over the years is your own practice at home.
It is essential to attend yoga classes with a very qualified and experience yoga teacher in order to learn how to practice correctly the
- using the correct parts of your lungs
- using the pauses in the breath correctly and with the correct effort and correct ease
- how to focus your mind during your practice
- how to focus on your breath
- how to become aware of your spine
- how to sit comfortably for meditation
- using the correcxt techniques for meditation
- hearing many useful tips and inspiration to help with your own practice
But at the end of the day, the real benefits to you over the years will come to you from your own practice at home.
So it is important to give good consideration to
- where you do your practice
- how you setup your surrounding environment
- what time of the day
- how you fit in your meals
- how long do you practice
- how often do you practice
Setting up the ideal environment to practice
You may do your yoga practice anywhere, but there are certain places that are better and certain places that one should avoid if possible.
Best time to practice yoga
It is advised to practice early in the morning, and traditionally it is practiced 1 hour before sunrise. There is more information about the reasons for this at xxx
If possible one should firstly empty one’s bowels and bladder and then take a shower to ensure one is fully awake.
And if possible to do one’s practice at the same time and same place first thing in the monriong after the shower and any other yogic cleaning practices you may do.
Places to avoid for your home yoga practice
If you live in a one bed roomed aprtment, it may be impossible to avoid practicing in your bedroom.
However there is usually sleepy type of energy in bedrooms particularily close to the bed, so it is advised to practice in anothere room if possioble and if not, as far away from the bed…. possibly beside a window.
Best Places to practice yoga at home
The place you practice should be very clean and with a window for fresh air. It should not be cold or draughty. Ideally it should be quiet and tranquil, but if you live in a city, you try to choose the quietest place possible.
It is better to practice on floor boards than on a carpet.
Agreement not to be disturbed during your home yoga practice
If you live with someone else, you should try to get agreement that you won’t be disturbed during your practice. It is a good idea to take the phone off the hook, or put it straight through to the answer machine so that you don’t hear it, and it won’t disturb you.
Creating the right atmosphere for your yoga practice
Some people like to have a spiritual picture or a statue or a fresh flower or a candle in order to help your unconscious mind to become more attuned that this is your own inner practice that you will be doing and it can help settle one’s mind to a more internalised focus.
Some people like to light insense, but personally i avoid this, as i find it disturbs my pranayama practice.
Ideally one should have one’s own
- non slip yoga mat
- possibly a softer more supportive mat for lying postures
- meditation cushion and any required blocks or bolsters for support
- a light fleece blanket to cover oneself during yoga nidra or wrap around for meditation
- possibly a few blocks if you use these to help you in postures
- possibly a belt if you se this for your practice
- neti pot if you practice jala neti
None of the above are absolutely essential to have, but it is nice if you use your own items and you don’t use them for any other purpose than your own yoga practice.
Amount of time and how often you practice at home
Ideally it is recommended that you practice every day at the same time at home.
For beginners it is advised to try to practice between 10 and 20 minutes at least 5 days per week. 15 minutes is a good target to start off with for the first month.
This should consist of
- a couple of minutes breathing with awareness of the parts of the lungs and the pauses
- gentle loosening postures
- some stronger postures
- gentle postures
- lying relaxation with awareness of sitting breath focused meditation for a few minutes
After one’s practice it is good to be sensitive with oneself and to try to do some nice task such as watering the plants or setting the table rather than by rushing straight into hectic work or traffic.
It is recommended to practrice daily if possible and to do a small amount each day, rather than 1 or 2 long sessions once or twice per week.
The most important aspects are regularity and consistency within yur home yoga practice.
How attending a yoga class fits in with my home yoga practice
It is said that the most benefits and transformation come through your dailky yoga practice, but that attending a led class by a teacher can help give you the inspiration to continue your home yoga practice each day yourself. By continuing to go to an instructor led yoga class, you can ensure that you are practicing correctly, and it may give you ideas on what practices to do at hoe yourself.
I wish you well with your practice!